Sunday, December 12, 2004

[email fragment] I've been watching more this year than last year -- turns out we get a few commercial free movie channels along with the soccer. There was a glut for a couple months, but I realized that watching more than one or two a week wound up stressing me out: both the worrying about Is the VCR programmed right? and, more, just immersing myself in plot after new plot. Lately I stick with soccer, foreign-language news, Everybody Loves Raymond, and a triumverate of "old-seeming teens and young-seeming adults" dramas: Gilmore Girls, Joan of Arcadia, and The O.C.

But on Sunday nights the classic movies channel runs old silent films, which I like a lot, what with their being silent and all.

Faves of the past year: Tortilla Soup (Mexican-American remake of Eat Drink Man Woman); About a Boy; The Outlaw Josey Wales (becoming quite a Clint Eastwood buff); A Nun's Story; Bringing Up Baby; Langaan: Once Upon a Time in India (Hindi film about a hilariously epic colonial cricket match); The Milky Way (sound pic with silent comedy star Harold Lloyd).

No comments: