Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Lately I've been realizing that all my favorite programs on public radio are the ones that feature hip-hop music from time to time: This American Life, Morning Becomes Eclectic, and my latest discovery, Pop Vultures. Have you heard of the latter? It's basically music-savvy people talking like teenagers about their favorite pop stars, with everything edited down so it sounds inane yet winds up being, at times, rather profound. There's also a lovely dramatic tension over the whole thing -- you can never quite tell how serious they are (which, given that it's produced by Garrison Kiellor, the king of mixing celebration and mockery, ain't so surprising). Listening to the first couple episodes, I couldn't tell whether I loved it or hated it, which probably suggests the former.

Anyhow, lis'n up: http://popvultures.publicradio.org/programs/

I'd suggest starting with the earlier episodes, which I think are, if not better, at least more alive with a sort of "hey we could do anything" spirit. It's always fun to see how a new show finds its feet.

[via the Ira Glass interview at transom.org]

No comments: