Monday, November 1, 2004

One of my favorite things about the New York Times website is the little weather line that runs right under the big "New York Times" flag. Specifically what I liked was that if you hadn't told the NYT database where you were located, the weather line was actually just a link to a page where you could add that info: "Personalize your weather", it said. I loved that little phrase so much that in 5+ years of near-daily use I never followed the link. For me it was way less important to know the actual local temp and precip than to be reminded that the Internet (which promises omnipresence and omnipotence) and the New York Times (itself offering omniscience) thought it sensible to suggest that my weather might actually be personalizable with a click. Well if you aspire to the attributes of God, why not?

Sadly, the little joke is finally over: sometime in the past few days they switched the default to just tell you whether it's raining in New York.

No comments: